Re: looking for mac-to-linux backup recommendations

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jason Terk <jason.terk@gmail.com>
Date: May 1, 2007 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: looking for mac-to-linux backup recommendations
To: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>

Any suggestions as to what software is out there to make this as simple
and automated as possible?  (Obviously rsync is an option, but that
doesn't quite get to the point of being able to recover a bootable disk
image.  Right now, I clone my hard drive to a 2nd local drive - I'm sort
of wondering if there's a way to generate a remote image that would be
net bootable for recovery purposes).

If you're looking for a way to boot without downtime after a drive
failure, I'd stick with cloning to an external drive. When you start
talking about backups to another machine (especially a remote machine)
bandwidth becomes a very real issue. With rsync-like tools you can
manage this by calculating diffs and only sending the bits that are
new or changed. If you want to do a bit-for-bit copy (or something
close) this won't be possible.

I have a Mac that I backup to a (local) Linux machine. I've been using
rdiff-backup [1] for quite a while and I like it a lot. It keeps
increments around using binary diffs so you can get files from the
past without wasting much space. Be sure to take a look at the
unattended backup HOWTO [2].

-Jason

[1]: http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
[2]: http://arctic.org/~dean/rdiff-backup/unattended.html