Re: Black screen before login

I tried the command '/etc/init.d/gdm restart && tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log', but it didn't work. The black screen appeared instead of the output.
But looking at the Xorg.0.log, this message appears many times:

(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)

It could be this?

Thanks.

Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> escreveu:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:15:47 -0300 (ART)
Renato Gondim Filho wrote:

> Sorry about my ignorance, some conventions I don't know well (yeat),
> but "virtual console" means a command line in Terminal? If it´s
> correct, I should do this:
>
> tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> Thanks.

What I am suggesting is that you try the following.

1. Switch to a virtual console using the key combination ctrl-alt-f1.
2. Login as root.
3. Issue the command '/etc/init.d/gdm restart && tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log'. Here I assume that GDM is your display manager.
4. The previous step will probably take you to the login screen (even though the login prompt hasn't appeared). If so, repeat step 1 to return to the virtual console.
5. Watch the progress of output as you follow the log file. Is there a point at which the output pauses for a long time?
6. You can toggle to the login screen at any time using ctrl-alt-f7.

Good luck.

Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/