Re: etch upgrade problem

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 08:23:27PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 07:38:49PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 06:21:34PM -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:
> > > Andrei Popescu <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote on Tuesday, April
> > > 10, 2007 10:35 AM -0500:
> >
> > > I am curious whether some debconf action, or dependencies in the deb
> > > files, could have warned the user?
> >
> > Prior to a new release, I wonder if there should be a security-update to
> > apt that issues a notice to all debian users who use apt, warning them
> > about a pending release and to prepare such things as sources.list so
> > that they don't accidentally upgrade without reading the release notes.
>
> It sounds doable, but you have to do it as a package which only contains
> the "news" as debconf messages.

If you want people to actually install it, it should probably be part of
a required package or a dependancy of that.  For example, the news
package could be called "critical-news" and be required by base-files
(since its priority is 'required').

Taking this recent Sarg > Etch transition as a template, under Sarge,
when Etch freezes it could be updated to provide notice of an upcoming
release with pointers e.g. re sources.list.

When Etch is released, Sarge's critical-news could be updated (via the
security.debian.org repository) to inform users (via debconf with a
critical severity so that they get it) that their Sarge installation is
now old-stable, and provide the current release notes (in
/usr/share/doc/critical-news).

Etch's critical-news could be the same as the last Sarge version, until
Lenny freezes, when the pattern repeats itself.

This would also provide a good mechanism to in effect email all debian
users (or at least administrators) should that ever be needed, more
reliably than hoping that everyone subscribes to the announce list.

The package maintainers for this should probably be the people who write
the release notes.

Doug.