Re: RAM 95% used

somethin2cool (<somethin2cool@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> even though i'm not running anything.
>
> in processes task manager says i'm using a total of 25mb, inc
> dependencies.
>
> in resources, it says 204. given the sluggishness of the totally
> minimal system i believe the later.
>
> however, even if i was to open every gui ap, it shouldn't use that
> much.
>
> what's wrong with it? why is it using up my ram?
>
> atm, just ruunning xfce takes 200mb. nothing stupid is installed, the
> whole point was for a fast system

andreas@sirius:~$ free -m
Mem:        504        497          7          0         28        211
-/+ buffers/cache:     256        247
Swap:      1023        134        889

That means: 504 mbytes of RAM are used, but this includes 211 mbytes
that are used for file caching. The cache size will decrease when
applications need the RAM. The second line shows you how much RAM is
used without the cache. Also take a look at top or htop.

regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976