Re: how to make a symlink

On Sunday 29 April 2007 08:07, somethin2cool wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 10:11:40PM +0100, somethin2cool wrote:
> >> not using Gnome or KDE, I seem to be mising some basic features (like
> >> search). One of these is the ability to make links to files. I want to
> >> make a link to seamoney, which has not registered as a browser, nor has
> >> it registered a command. Thus putting a symlink to seamonkey in bin
> >> ought to suffice until I learn more.
> >
> > what do you mean it hasn't registered a command?
> >
> > if you type seamonkey in a terminal, does it work?
> >
> > or are you talking about your menus?
> >
> > you're using xfce right? you can edit the menus in
> > X->xfce->settings->menu editor.
> >
> > or are you trying to put button on your taskbar? Your question is not
> > clear.

> As ALWAYS, I mean exactly what I say, and not something similar.
>
> Typing seamonkey in terminal does nothing:
>
> bash: seamonkey: command not found
>
> I know there is a menu editor. In it is a single reference to include
> 'system' which is not much help, and I cannot find the file it is
> talking about. Although I am close (not that I have installed a search
> program - Catfish)
>
> No I am not trying to put a button on my task bar, and yes I know how to
> do that.
>
> I have added seamonkey as my prefered browser, but making symlinks is
> still going to be something I need to know.
>
> And while we're at things which are impossible to find out, I need to
> know how to mount a logical partition. (currently the only partition in
> an extended partition I would describe as sda4)
A suggestion to make most of this easier is to use midnight commander as a
portion of your system management tools. If you are unfamiliar with it, or or
not sure if it is installed already, just do 'apt-get install mc' it will
allow you to do most of your requirements from a console based gui. It has an
excellent search function , can create both 'hard' & "soft' symlinks, allows
mounting of any registered drive, allows file editing, & much,much, more.
Best Wishes!!
--
John W. Foster