Re: usb/cups printer problem after etch upgrade

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 23:08:39 +0100, graham wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Thanks for the response! Answers inline below: basically everything seems
> to be right - but cups still thinks the printer is paused...
>
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 15:18:52 +0100, graham wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a server running cups, with a wireless usb connector connected to
>>> a remote Brother 5040 laser printer. It's always worked fine, modulo a
>>> little crackle on the television when printing ;-)
>>>
>>> After upgrading the server to etch (without any major problems) cups no
>>> longer sees the printer. Cups is running ok, and knows about the printer,
>>> but the web interface always displays the message:
>>>
>>> " HL5040 (Default Printer) "Printer not connected; will retry in 30
>>> seconds..."

[...]

>>> I guess this is yet another strangeness with changes to udev?
>> That is possible, but it could also be due to the changes between CUPS
>> 1.1 and 1.2. AFAIK, some ways of specifying the DeviceURI have become
>> obsolete for the new version.
>
> Seems likely, though I haven't spotted the new way in the docs. There's
> another etch user on the cups mailing list with a similar-sounding problem
> (but no answers).
>
>> The obligatory checklist for the udev transition is:
>> Did you purge hotplug?
>
> apt-get remove hotplug
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package hotplug is not installed, so not removed

Just to be sure: Run

apt-get --purge remove hotplug

(Plain "remove" leaves configuration files on the system; "--purge" gets
 rid of them.)

[ snip: kernel 2.6.18-4-486 is OK ]

>> tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog | sed 's/.*kernel: //'
>
> ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: wakeup
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 83
> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 83 if 0
> alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0016

Looks like udev is working, but maybe we should check the properties of
the created device node. What is the output of

find /dev/ -name usblp0 -exec ls -l {} \;

[...]

> snoopy>/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
> direct usb://Brother/HL-5040%20series "Brother HL-5040 series" "Brother
> HL-5040 series USB #1" "MFG:Brother;CMD:PJL,PCL,PCLXL;MDL:HL-5040
> series;CLS:PRINTER;"

So far, so good. Now let's see how the printer is defined for CUPS. Post
the output of

grep DeviceURI /etc/cups/printers.conf

Printers.conf can contain passwords in clear text, therefore it is only
readable by root. Make sure to remove confidential information before
posting here. (This is probably not the case for your USB printer, but
better safe than sorry.)

          Florian   |