Re: Error message: `This page contains information of a type...'

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Rodolfo:
>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> I unpacked the file install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz and installed it
>>>  with:
>>>  $ ./flashplayer-installer
>>>
>>> . Now it seems all right.
>

> Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> writes:
>
>> Now that is not something I can understand.  Why would you want to
>> install flash 7, when flash 9 is available?  I can understand using a
>> free alternative, but if one is willing to use the proprietary stuff,
>> then why use an old version that will only work with some sites when
>> they could use a new version that works with almost all of them?
>

> Well, just because the `install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz' tarball was already
> on my hard disk: I must have downloaded it some time ago.  The new version is
> downloadable from:
>
>  http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux
>
> . Cheers,
> Rodolfo

You don't have to download the tarball.  You just type the command that
was given earlier in this thread by Andrew J. Barr, which is:

aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree

or

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

or

search for it in your favorite GUI package manager.

Of course for this to work, one must have the non-free repositories
active in their /etc/apt/sources.list file, but that is trivial.

It is always better to use real Debian packages than installing
tarballs, but sometimes there is no choice.  In that case, checkinstall
comes in quite handy.

Joe

- --