Re: Debian devices and NIS user accounts

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:17:51AM -0400, Michael S. Peek wrote:

> I have to add each user to the cdrom, video, audio, etc. group in
> order for them to be able to be able to use these devices.

> So before I go and muck about with the system, I thought I would ask: What
> the Debian way of doing this?

  The simple way would be to use PAM, as described here:

  Add pm_group to your list of loaded modules, then configure
 /etc/security/group.conf to include something like:

 gdm; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio, video, cdrom, floppy
 kdm; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio, video, cdrom, floppy
 ssh; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio, video, cdrom, floppy

  Now when a user logs in they will be added to the named groups
 dynamically.

Steve
--
# Commercial Debian GNU/Linux Support