Re: Init replacements e.g. upstart

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:23:14PM +0200, robin putters wrote:
> >does anyone know if there are any plans to replace init with upstart or
> >something similar in Debian like Ubuntu has?  The reason I'm asking is
> >that I've managed to get my wireless working
> >via /etc/network/interfaces rather than network-manager-gnome.  The
> >only downside to this is that the dhcp server of my wireless router
> >sometimes takes ages to assign an ip address, thereby slowing the whole
> >boot process down.
> >

> A simple solution for not slowing the boot process down is adding the
> following line to your /etc/network/interfaces:
> allow-hotplug eth0 eth1 eth2
>
> For the init system stuff, check planet.debian.org, someone is
> blogging there about next-gen init systems (I don't feel like
> searching now).
from my readings, people in Debian are investigating upstart but there
are no plans for it to be part of the next stable release (lenny). There
was some work on getting the current init scripts updated to include
special comment to allow parallel init script schemes(init-ng?) but
those would again require signifigant testing (and discussion) to be
used. By comparison, Ubuntu's structure allows for these decisions to be
made top-down and the developer who created it is a key member of ubuntu
and thus has a signifgant power to make its use manditory. It is being
phased in to ubuntu. In a recent(in the last week) articles he says that
breezy and fiesty had some elements but still has unconverted bits. So
even if Debian wanted it, its not sufficiently tested or completed.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|