Re: tv-out, nvidia, nvtv etc

Adam Hardy wrote:
> spent the last 24 hours trying to get on top of this but reached the
> limit of my resources now and seem to have hit most of the relevant
> googleable info out there without getting past the current impasse.
>
> I've got a hot nvidia 7950GT GPU which is supported by nvidia's latest
> driver 1.0-9755. It's running with a TV in my living room.
>
> So far I've got a black-and-white picture, no colour, and the picture's
> too big for the screen, so I lose the top and bottom edges.
>
> I suspect the no-colour problem may be due to the cabling - I'm using an
> SVIDEO to scart cable, and I've seen two messages on the web (albeit
> from the USA) saying it's a cable issue. Could it be something else?
> I've already been to the store twice for these cables!
>
> As for the screen size, I think I've got the xorg.conf set up as perfect
> as it can be (see end) and I should use nvtv to configure it now.
>
> Problem is, nvtv says
>
> isengard:~# nvtv
> Fatal: No supported video card found.
> isengard:~# nvtv -P
> Fatal: Either you are not root, or no NVidia card found.
>
> Also it concerns me that lspci doesn't recognise my nvidia model:
>
> isengard:~# lspci |grep -i nvidia
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device
> 0295 (rev a1)
>

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "telly"
>     HorizSync       30.0 - 65.0
>     VertRefresh     60.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "nvidia 7950GT"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>     Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "telly"
>     Option          "TVStandard"            "PAL-I"  # for the UK
>     Option          "TVOutFormat"           "SVIDEO"
> EndSection

Here's my relevant part of the xorg.conf (it works), different card,
most likely same driver though. This also allows beryl to work.

        Identifier      "GForce 6200"
        Driver  "nvidia"
        Option  "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "TV"
        Option      "Coolbits"  "1"
        Option      "RenderAccel"       "1"
        Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite"     "1"
        Option      "RandRRotation"     "1"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
        Option      "DisableGLXRootClipping"    "1"
        Option      "TripleBuffer"      "1"
        Option      "UseEDID"   "1"
        Option      "UseEdidFreqs"      "1"
        Option      "DynamicTwinView"   "0"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        VideoRam        131768
        Option "NoLogo" "TRUE"
        Option "NvAGP" "2"
        Option "DigitalVibrance" "0"
        Option "TransparentIndex" "0"
        Option "CursorShadowAlpha" "64"
        Option "CursorShadowXOffse" "4"
        Option "Twinview" "1"
        Option "TwinViewOrientation" "clone"
        Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
        Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
        Option "Xinerama" "0"
        Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024 , 1024x768"
        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT , TV"
        Option "UseInit10Module" "true"

Quite a bit of difference I would say.  Keep in mind the NvAGP may not
be appropriate for your card, if in doubt, set that to 0.

Joe

- --