Re: Dates and times in Icedove

Ken Heard wrote, on 2007-04-26 00:26:
All the dates of e-mails in Icedove are backwards at least in my boxes, i.e., day-month-year, instead of year-month-day. Likewise, the times are in 12 hour notation, followed by AM or PM.

My locale preferences in KDE are set as year-month-day and 24 hour time and date formats. Apparently these settings apply only to KDE applications, not user-wide.

Is there a way to set date and formats user-wide, even system-wide? Otherwise, is there an extension to Icedove to set those formats for Icedove? I googled the Mozilla website to find such an extension using time and date as search words, but was unsuccessful.

                Ken Heard

Hi, I achieve the quotation above by using having the en_DK.UTF-8 locale installed (do man locale.gen and man locale-gen for details):

/etc/locale.gen:

en_AU ISO-8859-1
en_GB ISO-8859-1

en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8

en_DK.UTF-8 UTF-8

and then in the KDE K menu having the start command:

LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8" icedove

and followed the instructions in the section "Change the reply header" at:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/tips

It is still not as flexible as I would like (being able to specify date and time separately in one's own format of choice in a completely arbitrary quote string would be better), but it does give the original message date and time in an ISO standard format that is unambiguous.

Regards,

Arthur.