Re: Kernel upgrade?

Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty <at> porchlight.ca> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 05:47:33PM -0400, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to safely update the running kernel 2.4
> > to 2.6? What to do if the new kernel does not boot?
> >

> Yes.
> Before you start, only have one kernel (the working 2.4) installed.
> There should be a symlink from /vmlinuz and /initrd.img to the actual
> kernel and initrd files in /boot.
>
> When you install a new kernel, the existing 2.4 kernel will now be
> symlinked as /vmlinuz.old, ditto initrd.

Hmmm ...

This sounds slightly different to my experience when I've upgraded the kernel
on Debian.  Each time I get a new entry created in my Grub menu and all of
them reference the appropriate files in the /boot directory.  The end result
is you can boot using any of the installed kernels at any time.

The symlinks may very well behave as you describe (I haven't checked), but at
least on my system they aren't used :-)

Cheers,  Dave.