Re: Xircom pcmcia ethernet card not working in Etch

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 19:14, Dario Teixeira wrote:
> Dear Debian users,
>
> I have just installed Debian Etch, my very first Debian.  (Though I've
> used Kubuntu before).  I did a CD based installation, using the KDE spin.
> I am now trying to connect to the network, but I have a problem since
> neither the drivers for my laptop's wireless card are installed by default
> (it's a PCMCIA card based on the rt2500 chipset) nor my also PCMCIA-based
> Xircom ethernet card is working!
>
> I should have no problems getting the wireless running once I can download
> the rt2x00-source package.  Hence, I am putting all priority in getting
> the Xircom ethernet card working.  And that's where I need help.
>
> Now, the card seems to be detected fine (at the end of this message
> I'm attaching both the output of lspci and from /var/log/messages
> after the card is inserted).  I brought the interface up manually with
> "ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.11 up", and I can ping it from the localhost.
> But I can't ping the host on the other end (I'm using a crossover cable)
> or vice-versa.
>
> In this list's archives I found something about adding "irqpoll" to the
> boot parameters.  I tried it, but it didn't make any difference.
>
> Btw, this network card worked fine in other distros, even under very
> old kernels (it's an old laptop).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> Dario

Same problem here. The Xircom pcmcia card was working fine with Sarge. After a
Etch network install it was no more working.
The funny thing is that the card was correctly detected during the install,
and the network install finished successfully. After rebooting, the card did
not work anymore.

The following workaround kind of solved the problem:
- Add pnpbios=off to the boot options. There was some reference for this in
the boot messages.
- As root execute
   pccardctl eject ; pccardctl insert

Probably this is not the right thing to do, but at least my Xircom card is
working again.

Just for the record, the module used is xirc2ps_cs. And after I issue
the "pccardctl eject" command, the notebook outputs a frightening
"*** DANGER *** unable to remove socket power" message.
Anyway, the card is working now.

Hope this helps.
[]'s