Re: Newbie help how to enlarge root partition

John Fleming wrote:
> I'm the guy that recently dd'd hda (40GB) to hdb (160GB) and then put
> the larger drive in the first position, making it now the new hda.  I
> knew I would then be using only 40GB of the 160GB HDD.  I thought it
> would be easy to enlarge the 40GB root partition, but this newbie is
> having trouble with that.
>
> I tried using a Knoppix live CD and QtParted, but I still couldn't
> figure out to do it - When the root partition was selected, "resize" was
> not even an option (dimmed out).
>
> I've looked at fdisk and parted, but I need help.  Do I need to start
> over copying my 40GB HDD to a properly-partitioned 160GB HDD, or can
> someone give me detailed instructions to expand my 40GB root partition
> to use the available free space on the new drive?
>
> Thanks - My current partitions are shown below.  - John
> Debian Sarge
>

> # fdisk /dev/hda
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 19457.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1        4801    38564001   83  Linux
> /dev/hda2            4802        4863      498015    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/hda5            4802        4863      497983+  82  Linux swap /
> Solaris
>
> Command (m for help):

Well, the space you want to enlarge /dev/hda1 into is already taken up
by hda2 and hda5.

In order to enlarge hda1 you'd have to remove hda2. Start knoppix with
the swap=off (? check the help pages if this is correct) option, delete
hda2, enlarge hda1 and then recreate your swap again.

HTH,
Johannes