laptop harddrive noise

I installed etch onto a new pc which is made up of a low energy consumption mobo and two 2.5 inch laptop 120 gig harddrives.

The low energy consumption was my priority because I want to leave the machine on 24x7. However these are the first 2.5 inch harddrives I've ever had and they (or at least one of them) are making a disconcerting clicking noise every 5 to 25 seconds at random - it sounds a bit like a metronome, if it wasn't so irregular.

What I'm wondering, is whether it's etch reading or writing and the noise is the disc spinning up or the heads engaging.

I've configured the machine to run as a proxy gateway for my network with a firewall, but also with KDE, although that's not running as I sit here now listening to it. I shut down a few of the daemons that I thought might be causing it, but it carries on regardless.

As well as being disconcerting, it's also an issue because I want to use this as a media center as well, and the last thing I want is some constant clicking noise.

Thanks,

Adam