Re: hosed etch upgrade

Given the mess I've now reached, decided the easiest thing is to do a full install of etch from scratch and restore data from backup... please ignore previous message...

Graham

Graham Seaman wrote:
Hi,

I had a system which had been running updates from test (ie. etch) for a while and when etch was formally released like an idiot decided I could do the final upgrade without reading the upgrade documents...

Result: I rebooted before having upgraded the kernel (I'm on 2.6.8-2-686) and so udev doesn't work and I have no network access (ie. no eth0). I decided the easiest way round this would be to do a kernel upgrade, but the machine also has no floppy drive so I've been burning CDs trying to get all the necessary dependencies over as I find the ones I've missed. I've now run out of CDs so about to set off to buy some more (unfortunately nowhere near here sells debian cd sets :-(

Currently I am trying to install linux-image-2.6.18-4-686, which requires a ramdisk creator, which I didn't have. As yaird has fewer nested dependencies than initramfs I went that way, but now get the error message during installation:

yaird error: destination /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686.new already exists (fatal)

This error message persists when I remove the offending file. Does anyone have any ideas - or know if there is an easier approach to get my system back? (eg. some way to switch off udev and get my network back manually)

Thanks!

Graham