Re: New computer

On 24/04/07, Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

Richard wrote:
> Hi all
> I just put a new computer together and would like to know your input
> about the following problems i experience. My new system has these
> components.:
>
> Motherboard - Intel DP965LT
> CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
> HD - Seagate IDE 200 GB
> HD - Seagate SATA 250 GB
> DVD-rw NEC IDE
>
> Now i tried to install the new Debian Etch on it but already pretty
> fast during the install process i got stuck, because the installer
> could not find the CDROM drive. After i when i would have installed
> Etch i would like to have upgraded to Sid.
>
> So now i installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. And this did find my CDROM
> drive, but it sees my IDE HD as /dev/sda ... also not what it should
> be.
>
> My questions are: How can i install Debian Etch and upgrade to Sid on
> this hardware? Or are there modern Sid-netinstall-i386 iso images,
> which would not have the "cdrom not found" errors? Will debian then
> also see the /dev/hda as /dev/sda ?

1) Etch *should* work.

I will try later today, i am now at work. I put the machine together
yesterday and just tried to install Etch and after a while i just went
on with Ubuntu because it seemed the Etch installer could not find the
cdrom. Also found some options i could give to the kernel while it
boots like "all-generic-ide" and "irqpoll" and also will look at the
options Sudev Barar gave.

2) All drives as of the 2.6.20 kernel are /dev/sdX, and you've noticed
by now I am sure that fstab is using UUID.

Aha, this i did not know. Thanks for the info!

3) If you want to install Sid, you can try Sidux.  It is Sid.

Mmm, never heard of it, but will google for it.

4) Another way would be to get the business card ISO and choose Sid as
your distribution.

Yes i found in some forum a link to the daily netinstall mini iso images
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/netboot/mini.iso
Also will try this when other options won't work.

If you want to run the latest version of things, then you have to be
willing to accept the changes.  Linux evolves.

Just can not know everything about all the changes which occur in the
development of these new versions.

Anyway, thanks!
Richard

Joe