RE: Newbie Aptitude Question about Security Updates

"You are not going to learn Debian (or Linux) overnight...." ... Oh, I know that ... didn't expect to ... doesn't make it any less frustrating though ... as I said after three months of plugging away at this, when I have some time to work on it, and I'm still not even at the point where I can download and install the software that got me started on this adventure .. signed up on the Ogo-users list and have beed faithfully reading the postings figuring that at some point the tid bits I've been picking up will help ... thnakfully it is a slow list  ... compared to this one. :O)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: April 23, 2007 1:51 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Newbie Aptitude Question about Security Updates

Jan Sneep wrote:
> It is just SOOO frustrating ... like now I can't get the OS to re-install ... have to use FDISK to delete the partitions, but it seems to remember the old info ... so have to first format the hard drive with a DOS partition and then try to re-install ... and it takes hours to download all the files over the Internet ... the task that I started with in January, yes, January, was to try and get the Open Source version of MS Exchange running to allow me to share contact information between users on our LAN ... I've spent hours reading online manuals and today doing a Security Update SHOULD have been a very simple thing ... and yet now all the stuff I've done to get Samba to work and get the correct printer driver for CUPS is all lost ... yes, one of those tasks on the list of things to learn is how to do a recoverable backup of the OS, but it has been so frutrating getting anything to work that tackling the job of finding drivers for the CD writter just seemed too much.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion ... once I get the OS back and working I'll try it.
>
> Jan

I would actually recommend that you just try ubuntu.  It comes with
"training wheels".  I would have been 100% lost the first time I
installed debian if it had not been for my previous ubuntu experience.
You are not going to learn debian (or linux) overnight....

Sam

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.