Re: Help with NTFS & FAT32

No need to post twice within 10 minutes :-) - not everybody reads their
mail instantly...

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:37:09PM -0400, Blast wrote:
> Hello, I'm using Debian and I have two partitions plus the Debian's, a
> FAT32 and a NTFS ones, but I don't know how to make them accessible from
> the start for users in my system. I've already installed ntfs-3g and
> tried with fstab and /etc/rc.local, but I got nothing yet.
> I will appreciate your help.

I can't help you with NTFS, but the FAT32 ones should not pose a
problem.

Basically you need to mount the FAT32 partition somewhere - e.g. on
/media/dos (or wherever you feel like). You'll need to edit your
/etc/fstab to include the line:

/dev/hda9       /media/dos      vfat    noauto,users    0       0

The first bit (/media/hda9) is just a wild guess on my part: It
identifies the partition on your hard disk - you should change this
according to your own partitioning.

The second bit (/media/dos) is where you want the files to appear -
this should point to an empty directory.

For users to use the partition, all they need to do is to mount it
first, e.g.:

    fred$ mount /media/dos

I suspect NTFS can be take care of in the same way, but I've never used
it myself. YMMV.

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jorgensen