addresses in /etc/network/interfaces

Debian Users,

The man page for /etc/network/interfaces remarks
"Network address (dotted quad)  required  for 2.0.x kernels".

In other words, Debian Etch with the default kernel does
not require the network address in the static method.
Insertion of the network address in /etc/network/interfaces
by the Etch installer, is a bug.

If the broadcast address is omitted from the static method
in interfaces, my network connection appears to be
unaffected.  Apparently recent kernels also do not need
to be told the broadcast address.  (The broadcast address
is easily calculated as address OR (~ netmask).)  There is a
deficiency in the man page as well as another bug in the
Etch installer.

Anyone care to comment before I file bug reports?

Thanks,          ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/