Re: Aborting Sarge->Etch upgrade

On 04/22/2007 01:36 PM, swampstomper@charter.net wrote:
> I decided to abort a dist-upgrade from Sarge to Etch when some strange stuff started to happen durning the run up.  I followed the upgrade steps in the release notes.  Here's a synopsis:
> 1. updated sarge packages.
> 2. upgraded, nothing upgraded.
> 3. did an audit, nothing broken
> 4. changed sources.list to point to etch.
> 5. updated package lists.  Looked OK, but then got stat errors.
> 6. updated package lists again, this time no errors.
> 7. Trial run/simulation for dist upgrade.  Hit unmet dependencies on xfree86-common.
> 8. Abort upgrade.
>
> Below is the full text of the upgrade, before I proceed and end up with a broken system does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what when wrong?

[...]

> [sirius]apt:# aptitude -s -y -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   xlibmesa-gl: Depends: xfree86-common but it is not installable
>                Conflicts: libgl1 which is a virtual package.
>   libgl1-mesa-glx: Conflicts: libgl1 which is a virtual package.
> [sirius]apt:#

Hi there,

As I've posted, this upgrade can be much more tricky than it looks.

You appear to have forgotten, as I did, to carefully read and follow the
instructions in "4.5.4.1. Upgrading a desktop system" of the release
notes where it says:
	If you do have a full desktop system installed, run:

          # aptitude install libfam0 xlibmesa-glu

See http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes .

The good news is, you stopped and asked!  I didn't, and had more
trouble.  (As reported to the list on 12 April, Subject: Sarge -> Etch:
A Painful Upgrade)

Good luck, I think you caught it in time!

Ralph