Warning to ATI's proprietary fglrx users using Testing / Lenny

Hello all,

just to let any of using flgrx that the latest version 8.36.5 gave me
real problems on Testing.  Basically the Xv overlay extension would not
work with the latest driver.  Xine crashed on startup and mplayer was
all over the place.  I downgraded back to 8.35.5 and everything is back
to normal.

For what it's worth, I have a Radeon Mobility X1400 being used under
AMD64 Testing.  Slightly off-topic but does anyone know of any efforts
to create Free Software drivers for the newer ATI cards like the
Nouveau project is doing for NVidia cards?  I'd me more than happy to
lend a hand to such an effort.  The sooner fglrx can be dispensed with
the better.  It's plain evil.  For those of you questioning why I'm
using it in the first place, X would only work with the VESA driver
which is just not good enough for my needs.

regards,

Ananda Samaddar