Re: Exim4 EHLO/STARTTLS/AUTH and buggy client

On 4/21/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 09:01:58AM -0700, Mark wrote:

1.      Have you read the exim spec document?  Anything that Exim is
        capable of doing should be listed in there somewhere.

Oh yes -  I've been in and out of it - Exim is pretty complex for being so much simpler than Sendmail. It's a lot of stuff in the main spec document, and for someone unfamiliar with the philosophy of design, it takes a little while to get used to the semantics.

Sometimes systems designed to give you the most intimate control can make doing just the little things difficult, until you manage to get your head around how someone else was thinking.

2.      Why not just use a better client?  Seriously.  There must be a
        good reason why or you would have.  So, why?

Well, this particular mail client is in a new cell phone operating from firmware, so the choices are limited, except for throwing it away or installing some java application that might get it right. And the camera and sound are too nice to throw it away.

But yes, I had thought to look through the spec. And have managed to find nothing glaringly obvious, which is not to say it isn't there. I'll have to wait until the internals sink in a bit further, or come to the decision that all clients should behave unerringly and without forgiveness. ;)

Interestingly, it took a very long time to even figure out what was going wrong in the conversation with Exim -- no error messages about failed authorization were generated from the mostly default configuration. Only a relaying denied. It took running the beast in debug mode and following the conversation to learn that it was an authorization failure.

I have to say I like Exim very much so far - it's come a long way since I tried it last. It's nearly sensible.