Re: No Dual monitor support for S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 08:36 -0400, malik martin wrote:
> I have a dual-head video card in my laptop. well i have 1 extra VGA
> out on the back.
> in windows, when i plug a monitor in, i get two different screens.
> just like a dual monitor setup.
>
> i cant seem to get this to work in debian. i've read
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors
> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum40/1603.htm
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/05/025207
>
> but they dont seem to give me the info i need? or at least explain
> what needs to be done to a newb.

Hi,

It would help if you could explain how far you have come. According to
this page[0], a Xinerama setup works;

        "Same as other multi-head adaptors (Screen 0/Screen 1, etc.).
        Make sure you specify the same BusID for both device sections."

I also find info about a MergedFB mode (similar to radeons) but
according to this[1], it was never merged into Xorg proper.

From the links you posted in your message, I'd say you should make a
setup similar to the "Matrox G200". If you have problems, post your
xorg.conf and I'm sure someone can help.

All this configuring in X sucks bad, but things seems to improve rather
fast, there's a good chance this will Just Work[tm] in Lenny :)

0. http://www.botchco.com/alex/new-savage/html/
1. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Savage

--
Cheers,