Re: Init scripts

Amy Templeton wrote:
> I have a (hopefully) quick question...is it possible to
> create a runlevel nearly identical to the default runlevel
> (this is 2, correct? Also, do 3-5 have different
> characteristics?) or else use one of the other runlevels in
> order to start different programs at boot? If I choose use
> an existing runlevel and to boot to, say, runlevel 3 instead
> of 2, would it go *through* runlevel 2 and then into 3, or
> would it jump straight to 3 and skip 2?

3-5 are the same as 2 by default in Debian and are available for local
modification. init should perform the minimal steps when changing
between similar runlevels.

> The reason I would like to do this is so that if my laptop
> isn't directly hooked up to the Internet, I can choose
> whether to have it try to connect to a wireless network or
> just not connect at all (the current behavior is to try to
> connect via the wired connection even if it's not hooked
> in). Again, if there is a more graceful way of implementing
> this, I am open to suggestions. It's just sometimes
> irritating to have to remember to go in and hit C-c to make
> it stop polling for a nonexistant connection so it doesn't
> hang for a couple of minutes.

ifplugd seems like a much better solution for this.

> Also, on the topic of the Internet, is there any daemon-type
> program I could run which would watch for my unplugging the
> computer from the network and then maybe poll for a wireless
> connection if there's one around?

network-manager can do this, although how daemon-like it is is open for
debate. I personally just always have my wireless connection up, if the
wired connection is plugged in ifplugd will bring it up and it will also
be used, which is good enough.

--
see shy jo