Re: /etc/amanda/amindexd/amanda.conf

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:02:24PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> I installed CDRW-Taper recently. I need to find how to use it. But soon, I
> found that "nmap localhost -FA" gives error-like output (edited for
> readability):

>     masatran@masatran:~:0$ nmap localhost -FA
>     PORT      STATE SERVICE    VERSION
>     22/tcp    open  ssh        OpenSSH 4.3p2 Debian 9 (protocol 2.0)
>     80/tcp    open  http       Apache httpd 2.2.3 ((Debian))
>     111/tcp   open  rpcbind     2 (rpc #100000)
>     113/tcp   open  ident      OpenBSD identd
>     901/tcp   open  http       Samba SWAT administration server
>     8080/tcp  open  http-proxy Squid webproxy 2.5.STABLE11
>     10082/tcp open  amandaidx?
>     10083/tcp open  amidxtape?
>
>     Port10082-TCP:V=4.20
>     I=7
>     D=4/17
>     Time=46240C90
>     P=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>     r(NULL,75,"
>         501 Could not read config file /etc/amanda/amindexd/amanda.conf!
>         220 masatran AMANDA index server (2.5.1p3) ready.
>         ")

This is nmap trying to talk to amindexd (part of the amanda-server
package).

Amanda uses an ftp-like protocol - perhaps nmap thought it could talk
FTP to it?

Looks like a result of using the -A (=agressive) option on nmap, and
nmap telling you about the "weird" conversation it had with (what nmap
thought was) an FTP server. You should get the same errors from:

    $ telnet localhost 10082

Either way, your amanda server is complaining about its config.

You should find more information on cdrw-taper on
/usr/share/doc/cdrw-taper ...

PS: If you haven't already done so, you should probably set up
    firewalling on interfaces other than the loopback interfaces - the
    amanda protocol isn't quite as secure as it could be...

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/