A strange problem with iceweasel & gnome themes

After the final update to etch as stable I noticed the following
behavior:

	whenever I try to save a file, print a file with iceweasel (anything
	that tries to bring up the file dialog), the browser crashes.

After some trial and error and use of strace, it appears to be
correlated with opening icon directories.  Iceweasel will only work
for me with the default gnome theme, not any of the extra themes.

This only happens on one installation (on a T41p laptop runing a
custom 2.6.19 kernel with standard xorg radeon not firegl).  My
desktop also running etch has no problems with themes so I tried
reinstalling all of the theme packages, iceweasel, tried it with and
without plugins, checked permissions on the /usr/share/icons dirs
(ok). It tried removing and/or updating icon cache.  Still the same.

I tried the same experiment as a "fresh" user, changing nothing about
the default configuration but the theme: same behavior.

Any ideas???

P.S. I'm happy to use the default theme, but I'd like to know what is
going on here.

TIA!