Re: How to batch-add user accounts?

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:47:16AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> My googling skills must be getting rusty, as I'm not finding my answer ...
>
> Is there an easy method to add 30 or 300 user accounts to an Etch system?
> I'm thinking in terms of having a flat text file that looks something like:
>
> user1,passwd1,room,phone,blah,blah,blah
> user2,passwd2,room,phone,blab,blah,blah
> etc...

Looks like a job for a shell, perl or python script :-)

> that I can feed to an "adduser"-type of utility.
>
> Related question: If I have these users on a Solaris system, and move the
> relevant encrypted password for each user from the Solaris' shadow file into
> Etch's shadow file (replacing what's created in the first half of this
> question), will the users' passwords "just work" when they try logging into
> Etch?

It should work.  However, depending on the age and configuration of the
Solaris server, you are likely to have crypt passwords.  IIRC, Sun only
recently started including md5 password, so if your system is older you
would have had to install an addon package.

The point is that crypt passwords are very weak, but they will still
work in Linux.

Regards,

-Roberto
--