Re: aptitude dist-upgrade with error 404

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 19:13 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I used http://us.debian.org and switched over to xmission which made about
> 11 different package errors disappear.  The 11 package errors happened
> with my last run of aptitude dist-upgrade on ftp://us.debian.org

NO. you have the incorrect hosts.

For a proper line:

        deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
        deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

Notice the difference. Please look at the lines and read them fully.

The host is not "us.debian.org" but "ftp.us.debian.org"

there is only a "protocol difference" between the above set vs this set:

        deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
        deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

Functionally, they are the same as the above set.

ftp with a 404 error makes no sense.
http with a 404 error does make sense.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net