Re: Unwanted Printer Test

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 05:06:38PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On bootup - Etch, stock 2.6.18 kernel - my Brothers HL-730 laser printer
> prints a partial test page and stops with the error light flashing.
>
> I don't need or want this test page.  The printer is almost 10 years old
> but it works fine on those rare occasions (like income tax preparation)
> when I must sin (aka boot to windows).
>
> It always worked fine with CUPS too and probably would still if it were
> not locked up on an error.
>
> I haven't been able to track down the reason this test page prints.  I
> have looked at some of the rc2.d files at .gconf (the test print starts
> just as gdm is loading) without success.
>
> Any hints as to where to look next?

just for the really obvious thing: is it still in the print queue?
Maybe the test page is generating the error, and because its still in
the print queue, it keeps trying to print and then error'ing out and
staying in the queue. I don't know if the print queue is persistent
over reboots though. just a really lame thought.