configuring a SMC router with Debian Iceweasel

Debian Users,

Here is an unlikely difficulty.

Recently I connected a SMC Barricade to an Oberon
system, set the host address to 192.168.123.7 and
executed "Desktops.OpenDoc http://192.168.123.254/";.
The SMC configuration viewer appeared.  No problem!

Later I connected the router to a Debian Etch system
and set the host address in /etc/network/interfaces.
The Iceweasel refused to open the router at
http://192.168.123.254/.

(A friend got a similar snag with MS IE.)

How can I make the Iceweasel weasel through?

Thanks,         ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/