Re: Confusion between hde1 and hda1

Thanks for that!

I wouldn't never have thought of it as it looked like it was commented out!

Obviously two hashes are better than one!

Sincerely...

Steven Maddox
(Architect)

Function Office
http://www.functionoffice.com

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 16:00 +0100, Steven Maddox (Architect) wrote:
Lo,

My first message, be kind! When I installed debian etch several weeks ago (the XFCE CD), the installer believed it could see hda and thus / became hda1. When booting debian for the first time it saw it as hde - GRR I thought, so I plodded along and altered the grub menu list and fstab - and it worked.

Yesterday I restarted the box (after quite a while) and the grub menu seems to have back to being hda1 - probably because a kernel update or reinstall re-making the menu.

I need to get my copy of debian to FORGET about hda1 - bah! Any ideas so this doesn't happen again?

p.s. This occurred on a Compaq ProLiant DL320

Yes.

As root, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

goto the line that looks like:

# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro