Re: Migrate to XEN and LVM

2007/4/16, Marco Mandl <marco.mandl@gmx.at>:
Hello,

I have Debian Sarge running on a traditional partition. Now I am going to
make a clean install of edge. Before doing this I wish to migrate to LVM
an XEN. Is this realistic?

It is. We can even say "recommended" :o)

I was searching a lot but did not find a clear answer, yet.

I am imaging to do something like that:

1. Convert the raw partion to LVM
   How can I do this? It is the root partition of the only installed
   system on that box.

Well, do you have free space ? If not, the best way would be a fresh
install, after back-uping your data... If you have, set-up your LVM
partitions, then move your files from your old partitions to the LVM
ones, then delete old partitions to enlarge your vg. Don't forget to
change your /etc/fstab conf file to mount your brand new LVM system
instead.
But before going ahead, you must know what is LVM by reading
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

2. Install XEN on a new logical volume.

apt-get  will provide you all the required stuff.

3. Transfer the old installation into XEN.
   How can I do this?

Well, wait a minute.... are you aware of... that issue:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION01110000000000000000

Xen is cool to handle several kernels running a shared machine. So, if
your box aims at running only one application mainly, such as a web
server, or a ftp one, maybe you don't need xen. But if you need two or
more main applications, it is worth it. You could run two or more user
domains on your domain0. Do you really need several OS ? To be sure
before doing extra stuff...

Gal'