Grub acting strange !

Hello Debian-users.

A few days ago i tried to install Etch on my backup-server to be.
After the install I ended up with Grub printing grub all over my screen.
Reinstalled and changed the partitioning a bit but got one grub printed and
no other errors.

Booted a live-cd ang changerooted into my new install and executed grub
install from within grub commandline but that did not help.

My computer is an old PIII 450Mhz with a dvd on the primary ide interface
and a Promise PCI sata 4 channel controller for my 4 Wd 400Gb sata disks.

The layout I used is:

/boot 100Mb ext3 on first disk (primary partition in the beginnig of the
disk)

/ 7.5gb ext3 on /dev/md0 (raid5 on all 4 disks)

1 swap partition on each disk to get around 2gb swap in total

the rest of my disks are set up as a huge raid 5 md for lvm use but no lvms
created yet.

Grub installed on MBR and no errors showed in console during grubs install.

Before this setup i tried to put / on lvm as usual but changed back to plain
md to see if things got better.

---

Yesterday I tried to install Centos5 with exaclty the same layout. I just
told the installer to erase /boot and keep using ext3, the same for the md
containing / and finished the installation. Unfortunatelly the thing started
with no problem :-) I really would like to use debian instead but grub seems
to behave strange in etch ?

Have anyone else experienced debian-issues with grub ?

Thanks, Anders