Re: Restrict server access

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 10:03:02AM +1000, Will Parkinson wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was any way to restrict server ssh, ftp and
even http access to certain countries / ip ranges?  I've been using
debian for a while at home but am pretty new to the security side of things.

Any help much appreciated

I don't see any way of configuring sshd for that so if this is something
you need, you'll need to use a firewall.  I suggest shorewall.

But lets review why you think you need this since its not a standard
requirement.

Doug.

The reason i ask is that recently a server that i was working on was sending spam emails for some other company that i've never even heard of.  I'm just looking at ways to avoid this from happening in the future. As i am new to server security, i'm looking for a way to block non Australian ips while i figure out how this company came to be sending emails from our server.

Cheers

Will