Re: Soundcard issues-RESOLVED

On 04/15/2007 12:22 PM, Barry F Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:36:03AM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
>> On 04/13/2007 03:50 AM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>>>
>>> 2007/4/12, Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com <mailto:ralph.katz@rcn.com>>:
>>
>>>     I have the same issue for an isapnp soundcard on etch.  alsaconf sets it
>>>     up, writes to /etc/modprobe.d/sound, but even after alsactl store,
>>>     reboot requires re-doing the steps.
>>>
>>>     Anyone else?  Ideas?
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>     Ralph

[snip]

> I had a similar problem when I upgraded to etch. I'm not sure if this was
> mentioned yet, but what I had to do was:
> 1. Run alsaconf
> 2. Run alsactl store
> 3. Add my soundcard kernel module in /etc/modules, so that the module would
> be loaded at boot. In my case I added the module snd_cs4236.
>
> I know that's frustrating - took me a few weeks before I had it figured
> out. Best of luck.
>
> Regards,
> Barry Smith

WORKS! I'm not the OP, but this resolves my particular problem.

Thank you, Barry.  I've spent hours and hours searching on this and
modify config files.  I had done those steps, but not in that ORDER.
And Colin is right, can't imagine why this isn't handled nor mentioned
by the debian pkgs.

Now, my remaining sound issue is the fixing esound or other playing
sounds simultaneously solution.

Regards,
Ralph