Re: Network Performance Issues.

On Saturday 14 April 2007 15:02, Alan Chandler wrote:
> The problem I have is this.  I have a linux desktop (machine D) siting
> on a LAN in my home.  This is  connected to a linux firewall/nat router
> (machine S) with two ethernet cards.  One links out to the internet,
> the other connects to the internal lan.  Connections to the internet
> from machine D go through machine S, which acts as a NAT translation. I
> do all the control and firewalling using IPTABLES in machine S.
>
> Downloading a video from youtube onto Machine D's desktop I get a
> download speed of about 7Kbytes/sec. Which is very low.  If I try to
> download the same one by ssh'ing into mahcine S and running wget on the
> same url, I get a download speed of 80Kbytes/sec (ie more than 10 times
> faster).

Alan,

I would try wget on machine D to verify that the problem is network
rather than your browser on D.  If that doesn't answer your question
I would run wireshark (or tshark from the command line) for a few
seconds while machine D was downloading via S, being sure to capture
on all interfaces.  The result will show what is happening to packets
trying to cross S.

--Mike Bird