Re: Daily Updates

David E. Fox <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com>:
>  On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:08:06 +0200
>  Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
>
> > You really should be specific to which version you're running.  If
> > you're running Sarge, you won't be getting many updates, if you're
>
>  A related observation/question. I have been tracking 'etch' (as opposed
>  to 'testing' for many months now, starting shortly after sarge became
>  stable. This is the first time, though, that I've gone through a distro
>  upgrade with debian (i.e., etch -> lenny) and since etch went stable
>  last week, I haven't gotten a lot of updates, not that I would have
>  [snip]
>
>  I thought odd that I would be having 'holds' still, does that mean that
>  these packages will never get upgraded unless and until I replace
>  'etch' with 'lenny' in my sources.lst? And based on some prior list

As it was explained to me, following an aptitude upgrade with aptitude
dist-upgrade solves this.  Leave your sources.list as it is and do a
dist-upgrade.  You can use the "-s/--simulate" switch to check out
what's going to happen without it really happening.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html