Re: Noob question - best way to install software

georgepwhite@comcast.net wrote:

> I've been using Debian for about a month, and just upgraded to Etch.  I'm
> very happy with it so far - my compliments to the people who create this
> great piece of work.
>
> I am wondering about the best way to install software.  I have used the
> "apt-get" method, which is pretty simple, and have also downloaded and
> compiled from source "tarballs" which is a little more complicated but
> doesn't seem to be a big deal.  Are there significant advantages and
> disadvantages to these methods, besides just convenience?  I worry about
> dependencies, and maybe messing stuff up with "apt-get update."

The apt-get method enables you to upgrade the packages without any effort.
The source "tarballs" is method is good only for the current version. It
does not (usually) bother about upgrading packages. The same is true for
removing packages.

As a newbie, you should consider reading the documentation manuals
(especially the ones under user's manuals) available at
http://www.debian.org/doc/ . Those documents will answer most of the
questions you would be getting in the next couple of weeks.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/