Re: Next time you make a trace file... ( was Re: Need DTP to replace PageMaker)

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 23:09:50 +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> > > Really? I thought that was strictly a DOS/Windows-ism.
> > >
> > > "The more things change the more they remain the same!"
> >
> > Nope.  Otherwise, how would it know which app to open a file with?
>
> GNOME (and other DE's I expect) happily uses magic number tests to look
> up the mime type for files without extensions.
>
> That said, I agree that it's best to always add an extension.

I think the deciding factor for an email attachment is the MIME type
that is specified in its "Content-Type:" line in the raw message. At
least, this is how people with broken mailers manage to confuse my MUA
in spite of my best efforts to set up my .mailcap file correctly.

--
Regards,
          Florian