Re: Aptitude Advanced Searching

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 07:55:43PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:04:00AM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> was heard to say:
> >  >

> > > That worked perfectly too. Thanks for the help!
> > >
> > > I personally think this belongs in the notes for Aptitude, who do I
> > > contact about trying to get that added to the notes?
> >
> > File a wish-list bug against the package aptitude-doc-en.
>
>   The two relevant documentation sections are:
>
>   (in the user's manual)
>
> 	<varlistentry>
> 	  <term>
> 	    <cmdsynopsis>
> 	      <command>aptitude</command>
> 	      <arg choice='plain'>search</arg>
> 	      <arg
> choice='plain'><replaceable>pattern1</replaceable></arg>
> 	      <arg
> rep='repeat'><replaceable>pattern2</replaceable></arg>
> 	    </cmdsynopsis>
> 	  </term>
>
> 	  <listitem>
> 	    <para>
> 	      This command searches for packages whose name contains
> 	      any of the given <replaceable>pattern</replaceable>s,
> 	      printing the result to the terminal.  In addition to
> 	      just being a string of text, each
> 	      <replaceable>pattern</replaceable> can be a search
> 	      pattern as described in <xref
> 	      linkend='secSearchPatterns'/>.
> 	      <footnote>
> 		<para>
> 		  In fact, the same is true of the commands that take
> 		  packages as arguments, such as
> 		  <literal>install</literal> or
> 		  <literal>show</literal>.
> 		</para>
> 	      </footnote>
> 	    </para>
> 	  </listitem>
> 	</varlistentry>
>
>   (in the manpage)
>
>       <varlistentry>
>
> 	<listitem>
> 	  <para>
> 	    Searches for packages matching one of the patterns
> 	    supplied on the command line.  All packages which
> 	    match any of the given patterns will be displayed; for
> 	    instance, <quote><literal>aptitude search
> packages.  For more information on
> 	    search patterns, see the section <quote><link
> 	    linkend='secSearchPatterns'>Search
> 	    Patterns</link></quote> in the &aptitude; reference
> 	    manual.
> 	  </para>
>
>   Both of those state pretty clearly that matches of any terms will be
> displayed, and it seems to me that it would be difficult to make it more
> prominent without an <emphasis> tag or somesuch (emphasis doesn't render
> in the README atm anyway).  I'm open to suggestions, though.
>
>   I actually would rather require matches on all patterns for
> consistency with the curses UI, but this has been in the wild long
> enough that I think preserving backwards compatibility for current users
> is more important.
>
>   Daniel

Well it teaches how to search individual terms (That's how I learned,
from the docs) but it doesn't teach how to search multiple terms
together. At least an example should be given, like

aptitude search '~Gx11::applet~dwireless'

Would search for x11 applets (Including dockapps) that have the word
wireless in their description. Otherwise people would just assume that
you search using

aptitude search '~Gx11::applet' '~dwireless'

- --
 <o) Debian GNU/Linux - Free as in Freedom
 /\\ http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Debian site and blog
_\_V Window Maker user, Debian enthusiast, Mutt lover