Re: Dual-booting with GRUB, md, and hardware RAID

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 05:23:57PM -0700, Michael Armida wrote:
> I am having a problem with the Debian installer whereby I can't get my
> machine to find the GRUB loader.  This is probably a problem with my
> motherboard (asus m2n sli deluxe), and not so much the installer per se,
> but please let me know if you see away around this.

I have the same board.  No windows.

> I've got four drives in my machine, sdc and sdd are a "hardware" RAID
> via the nvidia controller running vista 64.  sda and sdb are laid out
> for a software raid via md like this:

That 'hardware' raid is not, so as far as linux goes, its separate
disks.

> sda1, sdb1: ext3 at /boot
> sda2, sdb2: lvm on raid for everything else (swap included)
>
> At the end of the install process, GRUB gets installed into the MBR and
> the installer correctly ids Vista's presence, but on reboot, I end up
> right back in Vista.  I checked out my BIOS and RAID options, and here's
> a summary of the limitations:
>
> - BIOS only allows for me to pick between things like "Hard drives,"
> "CDROM," "Floppy," and order they're tried in.

Thats the boot device priority (page 4-37 in your manual).  Under hard
disk drives, you can also change the order of hard drives (p 438).
Unfortunatly I can't run the bios and send this email :)

At boot up, you can also hit F8 to get a boot menu of the drives it
finds (useful to boot from a USB stick that wasn't attached when you did
the bios setup).

Also, are you _sure_ that grub got installed?  When I installed Etch
pre-RC1, it said it did but didn't.  I had to boot the installer in
rescue mode and choose 'install grub'.

Good luck.

Doug.