problums gtng speeling chucker to wrok wit AbiWord

Hi, I installed AbiWord using the following command

apt-get -s -V install abiword abiword-plugins myspell-en-gb myspell-en-us

which pulls in libenchant1c2a amongst other things. For some reason the spell checker doesn't work in AbiWord (either in real time or press F7 mode, this document show no spelling errors & if I press F7 now it jumps strait to the "the spelling check is complete" popup) or OpenOffice.org Write, it does work in icedove though.

My system local is en.sg with a US keyboard (set at install time) which would probably point to en.us dictionaries, which is why I installed them, but I'm English so I'd like to use the GB ones.

Any ideas where I should look?

Thanks.