etch upgrade authentication problems

I did an aptitude upgrade to etch, and when done was left with a
series of problems. The most annoying is that I can't authenticate
with the NNTP server to send this message with gnus. Rmail works OK.

I can't startx:
  xauth: creating new authority file ~/.serverauth.3044
  giving up
  xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to x
    server.
  sinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

What's really curious is that I try to mount a backup drive, and it is
my usb-key that is mounted! (# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1
/media/mirror). If I remove the usb-key, I get "not a valid block
device". My usb-key was sdc1.

I suspect I may have messed up my machine names when I upgraded:

  # dnsdomainname
  hartford-hwp.com

This is ok

  # hostname
  teufel

This OK, too

  # hostname -a
  teufel

I would have expected here instead:

  localhost.localdomain
  teufel.hartford-hwp.com

  $ cat /etc/host.conf
  multi on
  $ cat /etc/hostname
  teufel

In /etc/hosts:
  127.0.0.1 	localhost.localdomain localhost
  192.168.1.1  	teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

Haines Brown