Re: Using Debian problem--please help

Christian Hattery wrote:
> I used the netinst from the US mirror and I installed it on an AMD64
> system and everything went fine and after the install when Debian ask's
> for my account name and pass it leaves that GUI and goes to nothing but
> a GRAY screen and a mouse cursor.
>
> I don't know what to do from here and I'm confused as to what could be
> wrong please any input would greatly be appreciated.

1. Get a console with Ctrl-F1.

2. Login as user "root" using the password you entered for root during installation.

3. Install eg the Gnome desktop (package "gnome") and the Gnome Display Manager
for graphical login (package "gdm"). Details in the NewbieDOC wiki [1] refer to
Sarge, but the commands are the same for Etch.

4. When all done, restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

[1]
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_a_small_partition#Installing_heavyweight_desktops

--
Chris.