Re: Reconstruct Aptitude database

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:02:42PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> * Masatran, R. Deepak <masatran@research.iiit.ac.in> 2007-04-08
> > An computer that I ran Debian Etch on had some faulty hardware. So, I moved
> > the hard disk to a new computer. Now, Debian works, except that Aptitude
> > gives a segmentation fault when I try to run it. How can I fix this?
>
> A clarification: This is not a bug in Aptitude, but a problem in the old
> hardware. Is it possible to reconstruct the Aptitude database, now that I
> have moved to new hardware?

I do not know exact problem but if I were you I do following.

1. Remove aptitude using "apt-get --purge remove aptitude"
2. Install aptitude using "apt-get install aptitude"
3. check if aptitude does not segfault.
4. Clean up auto installed situation using filtering
  http://wiki.debian.org/DRAptitude

Osamu