Re: Icon Idiocy in Gnome

Ari Torhamo wrote:
su, 2007-04-08 kello 09:01 -0400, peek kirjoitti:
Of the two flavors of Debian I have used (Debian proper and it's
spin-off Ubuntu), this symptom has popped up on both.  Sometimes when
I insert removable media, either disk or USB, the icon that Gnome
places on the desktop winds up on top of an existing icon.
For me, it's nothing more than a minor annoyance -- click an icon and
drag it aside.  But for my users, some of whom are not very
computer-savvy, this could be a confusing headache.  And it would seem
to go against the mantra that the Gnome developers are always
chanting: "Do not confuse the user, do not confuse the user..."

Why does this happen?  And is it something I can fix myself or is it a
problem within Gnome?

I think most people feel that if you call a persons work idiocy, then
you are implying that the person himself is an idiot. There can't be
idiots developing Gnome - the damn thing is way too good :-) (I know you
propably didn't want to call anybody an idiot :-) Thanks for all who
keep making Gnome better and better.

Oh no! I certainly had no intention of calling the Gnome developers idiots. My mistake and my apologies to the Gnome crew. It just looks like one of those bugs that, as a software developer, makes me go "D'oh!" in my best Homer Simpson voice every time I see it.

About the problem - I have experienced this too fairly recently, but it
doesn't happen often. It was much more common in the past. It really
makes an unpolished impression when it happens. It would be good to know
if there's some specific action/state that triggers this behaviour -
I'll try to take a note when/if this happens again.

It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough that I wanted to try to find an answer.

Michael