Re: ipw3945 Etch amd64

Michael Pobega wrote:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:11:39AM +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
Mark Panen wrote:
Hi

I download ipw3945 and the kernel module for it.

I "modprobe ipw3945" and lsmod shows it's there.

But "/etc/init.d/ipw3945d start
* Not starting ipw3945 regulatory daemon, driver not loaded."

How can i get my wireless to work ?
make sure that you have EVERYTHING related ot ipw3945 installed on your machine. otherwise, the networking doesn't work. namely you will need (talking about etch or newer all packages are in debian repositories):

ipw3945-modules-{substitute_your_kernel_version_here}
firmware-ipw3945	(binary firmware)
ipw3945d		(regulatory daemon)

ipw3945d is installed, but firmware-ipw3945 isn't. Any chance to check
if I have firmware-ipw3945 installed? I'm not sure what I installed
manually, but I don't remember even touching the firmware (I was messing
with iee802.11 and ipw3945 free drivers before I found the Debian
package).
the firmware is usually installed in /lib/firmware. it's called ipw3945.ucode.

apt-cache policy firmware-ipw3945
should give you something like the following output if it is installed from debian packages.
firmware-ipw3945:
  Installed: 0.4
  Candidate: 0.4
  Version table:
 *** 0.4 0
        500 http://debian.uochb.cas.cz etch/non-free Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

you can also start aptitude, search for firmware-ipw3945 (press "/" and fill in the query box). if it is installed it will have "i" displayed in front of its name.

regards,

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net