Re: Problems with sarge to etch upgrade

> Hello list,
> I just upgraded from sarge to etch using apt-get dist-upgrade. I have
> a few problems. The OS won't completely start.

Well, just a couple of guesses below:

I had problems getting x to run after upgrading.  Issues with the
xfree86 to xorg transition.

Try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.  This may give a clue as to what's
needed.  When I ran this, I got some errors saying the ati driver was
missing (my video card is an ati card); so, I installed the
xserver-xorg-video-ati package, and rebooted, and it worked.  Or, for
all the drivers, install xserver-xorg-video-all.

Or, the transition from hotplug to udev causes some problems,
sometimes.  Try dpkg-reconfigure udev (note, I'm saying this assuming
that you can get to a command line, and log in as root....if you
can't, well, perhaps someone with a bigger brain than I can assist
you.)   My machine, in making this transition, gave two choices, one of
which was to install yaird, and the other, was to install something
that did not work (initrd springs to mind, but I'm not sure).  See if
yaird is installed, and if not, perhaps try installing this (I am just
guessing here; so, take what I say with caution).

Good luck.

Mark