postgresql upgrade

I have a "munged" database path that i put together so that my database could run on a software raid array (linear, and don't tell me about how "bad" this is).

I never got it working 100% because I kept getting an error about invalid pidfile/pid value or something. Now the upgrade fusses. Anyone have any experience with running postgres in a non-standard directory through these upgrades? Did I do something the debian scripts isn't expecting or just really screw up my installation? I am never sure how much the scripts can handle.